Computers for Schools (CFS) is a Canada-wide initiative providing refurbished computers - at little or no cost to recipients -
to Canadian schools, public libraries, and non-profit learning organizations.
This site contains information about the Alberta program (click on contents to the left, or see our Video).
Pour service en français, veuillez composer le 1-800-622-6232 (1-800-OCANADA).
Pour compléter le formulaire de demande d'équipements informatiques, cliquez ici.
The Importance of Your Donations
Donations of used computers are the lifeblood of our organization. Did you know that 75% of the computers we receive come to us from the Government of Alberta and its departments? The remainder come to us via the Federal Government and a host of private and corporate donors.
These donations enable us to put computers into classrooms across Alberta and into the hands of students. We make an important contribution to creating equity of access for all students to learning and teaching.
We also make important environmental contributions. Our work to extend the life of thousands of computers and lap tops means that some 450,000 pounds of material is diverted from the recycling stream each year. In the 2012 calendar year alone we also shipped in excess of 300,000 pounds of computers and associated equipment for recycling through our licensed recycling partners.
Your donations matter! Thank you from all of us here at Alberta Computers for Schools.
MICROSOFT WINDOWS LICENSING
An agreement between Industry Canada and Microsoft Canada for the licensing of Windows XP expired March 31, 2012. When the remainder of our supply of these licenses is exhausted, we shall no longer install an operating system. This affects all schools accredited by Alberta Education.
We are grateful to Alberta Education which has made it possible for us to continue offering the following with respect to Windows 7:
- Schools covered under the Alberta Provincial Microsoft License (PML), eDesktop Enrollment (please contact your IT support to see if you are on this agreement):
This includes the great majority of Alberta schools, which receive the Windows 7 or 8 Enterprise Upgrade License OS at a discounted price under the PML eDesktop Enrollment. Alberta Computers for Schools will be required to verify if the machine does or does not have a qualified licensed copy of Windows. If not, we will advise the school authority they will need to purchase a retail copy. Prior to providing computers to schools, however, we will test all computers to ensure they will function properly with Windows 7. We have been doing this for some time with many schools and the procedure appears to work well.
- Schools not covered under the Alberta Education/ Microsoft Agreement:
For these schools we will purchase Windows 7 Professional Certificates of Authorization under the Microsoft Registered Refurbisher Program. Thanks to funding provided by Alberta Education we will be able to continue providing refurbished computers with Windows OS to these schools at no cost, if installed OS is requested.
- Non-school recipients of our computers (mainly libraries and learning-based non-profit organizations):
We will still be able to provide Windows XP at no cost to non-school recipients for the next few months. In the future those wishing to receive computers with Windows 7 installed will be required to pay a $10.00 fee per computer to have an authorized copy of Windows 7 Professional installed. This fee will cover the cost incurred by Alberta CFS to purchase a Microsoft Certificate of Authorization for each computer received .
- For all recipients not wishing computers with Windows 7:
Special arrangements can be made to provide computers with Open Source software.
ALBERTA COMPUTERS FOR SCHOOLS WEBSITE - WWW.CFSALBERTA.CA
Our web site is one of the primary ways in which people find out about us and access our services. The on-line application form is heavily used and offers an easy and effective way to place your order with us.
However, as things change we know our web site also needs to change. So in the coming months look for enhancements to both the look and functionality of our web site to ensure we keep pace with your interests and your needs.
You can also keep up to date on ACFS news by checking out our Facebook page. We’re always interested in hearing from you and receiving your suggestions as to how we can continue to get better and serve your needs.
WHAT WE OFFER
- In 2012 we continued to distribute well over 1000 refurbished computers each month to schools, libraries, and learning-based non-profits. Thanks to financial and in-kind support from both federal and provincial governments and other partners, we are able to provide these computers (plus monitors and printers) free of charge – though we ask recipients to make their own transportation arrangements.
- We are receiving significantly greater numbers of laptops which we are able to pass on to you. The great majority of these laptops come with wireless capability.
- Some computers now available - desktops and laptops – have dual core/twin core processors. Most also come with 80-Gig hard-drives and at least one Gig of memory.
- We are pleased to advise that we are now able to respond to most applications within one month.
- Please note that our “Home Access/Special Needs” initiative is increasingly popular. Schools can apply for a limited number of computers which the school can then distribute to students for home use. It is up to the school to identify recipients based on “special needs” (e.g. with low vision), or financial need of the student’s family.
Should you require additional information about our program in general or any of the above points please call us at 780 427 9002 or 780 427 5262.
OUR FIELD OPERATIONS
DID YOU KNOW ?? - Alberta Computers for Schools has shops located in Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge and Brocket?
Please click the Our Shops and Volunteers tab for more details and contact information. These are the hard working folks who make it all happen.
SEE OUR VIDEOS
CTV Two Alberta (formerly ACCESS TELEVISION) has produced several promotional videos for us in recent years. We sincerely thank CTV Two Alberta for its generous contribution to the Alberta CFS program. To see a recent video click HERE.
To see an overview of our program done by our student trainees, click HERE.
Our Lethbridge and Brocket shops bring together two programs - Community Access and Computers for Schools. To see the results of that partnership in Alberta, click HERE.
OUR NUMBERS - MAKING A DIFFERENCE
DID YOU KNOW??
Since the Alberta CFS program began we have distributed more than 170,000 computers and 6700 printers.
In 2012 alone we distributed 13,685 computers!
This page was last updated on June 17, 2013